From: topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: 29 Apr 2006 13:13:43 -0700

Neo wrote:
> > Okay, but where does relational allegedly trip up or get difficult?
>
> I would say mostly in the has hierarchy whose root is CourtHouse1. This
> is because the has hierarchy contains things of various types
> (buildings, floors, rooms and persons at various levels).

I would agree that your approach makes it easier to get a report of all the varied stuff in or belonging to the courthouse. But in my observation these are not the most frequent kind of queries. Usually report requests are more narrow in scope. For example, "What are all the fixed assets in courthouse X that have not expired?" from the accounting department. They are not concerned with personell in there also.

Your approach seems optimized for a newbie to gain *general* familiarization of the area or a physical simulation, such as The Sims. But it does not appear well optimized for business-oriented queries, which are usually more focused in purpose. If this means that RM is optimzed for the biz world but not other domains, perhaps you have a point. But I have not really explored such outside of biz much, so cannot really comment. (It does remind me of DOM though, which I am not very fond of.)

> Dir
> |-item-
> |-Building
> | |-instance-
> | |-CourtHouse1
> | |-has-
> | |-Floor1+
> | |-Floor2+
> | |-Courtney+
> |
> |-Floor
> | |-instance-
> | |-Floor1
> | | |-has-
> | | |-Room1+
> | | |-Ashley+
> | |
> | |-Floor2
> | |-has-
> | |-Room1+
> | |-Room2+
> |
> |-Room
> | |-instance-
> | |-Room1 (of Floor1)
> | | |-has-
> | | |-Clark+
> | |
> | |-Room1 (of Floor2)
> | |
> | |-Room2 (of Floor2)
> | |-has-
> | |-Judy+

Judge Judy? Isn't that a TV show?

-T- Received on Sat Apr 29 2006 - 22:13:43 CEST

Original text of this message