From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Apr 2006 20:44:17 -0700

> If this is true, then an alien can be a doctor and Bob can be an alien.
> Therefore, we can no longer say, for certain, that 'just because john is a
> doctor, therefore he is human,' because there are now alien doctors. The
> ruleset change is small.
>
> subtype(doctor, alien).
> subtype(doctor, human).
> subtype(engineer, human).
> named_instance(john, doctor).
> named_instance(mary, doctor).
> named_instance(bob, doctor).

Something seems wrong with the above. Either there are two distinct doctor subtypes which would lead to problems associated with redundant representation. Or there is only one doctor subtype but it has to very different superTypes: human and alien. Thus john, bob and mary are all humans and aliens ???

PS. Nick may have exited the thread, so posts from other Prologers would be welcomed. Received on Sat Apr 29 2006 - 05:44:17 CEST

Original text of this message