Re: Lucid statement of the MV vs RM position?

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Apr 2006 22:12:04 -0700

Pickie wrote:
<snip>
> The truest answer to the request seems to be that the Relational Model
> is a theory that has no practical example and Multi-Value (at least the
> Pick version) is a practical example that has no theory.

Well said, Keith! I'm not sure either has to be true, but that does appear to be the current state. On a related note, I sure would like to have a means of optimizing the best practices & theory combination. I might think one will find a 2VL, NF2, LVA... data modeling approach there, but how could I possibly verify that? Mathematics cannot provide the answer to that question and our industry seems improverished related to emperical data.

Cheers! --dawn Received on Thu Apr 27 2006 - 00:12:04 CDT