Re: Lucid statement of the MV vs RM position?

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2006 09:53:49 -0700

dawn wrote:

> Cool. We would surely want variable length (and the ability to ask the
> length). I still don't see where you can work with these arrays as one
> (I, at least) would want to, with grouping and ungrouping, for example.
> I would want to be able to ask for all students with every major not
> equal to 'PHIL' for example, even if we opted to implement majors in a
> list. I would hope there is some way to do that with the functions
> provided, but my guess (without being able to find examples right off)
> is that the SQL might not be really sweet.

Sweet is a matter of taste, but I would say it is quite simple. To get a feeling see slide 31 of

www.starlab.vub.ac.be/staff/robert/InleidingDB/Silberschatz%20ppt%20files%20etc/ch09%20ORDB.ppt

> OK, so let's say that relational theory has caught up with Pick ;-) in
> these ways (NF2, 2VL, and LVAs). Where is this implemented.

In the DBMSs I mentioned.

> How I can I get access to this data from any reporting or BI tools?

The usual way one gets information out of a SQL-DBMS. :-P IIRC JDBC 3.0 has caught up with SQL:1999.

  • Jan Hidders