Re: IDJIT! Your Data Model Can't Posssibly Work!

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2006 13:56:29 -0700

> I think that the "OP's originally situation" was caused by poor design. That better designs are able to meet changing requirements. That careful attention to entities results in better designs. That "relationships" and "roles" are unreal and efforts made searching for them result in distractions. That studying the events that transform entities is more useful. That it will soon be obvious that too much time has been wasted on this topic.

What schema would you use for something like andriods who may need to represent things that are unimaginable? Basically I am asking what schema allows storage of any future/unknown things, yet the data representing those things will be normalized, thus allowing efficient data mgmt? How can one use ORM or RM to accomplish this?

A more concrete example, design a schema today, so that tomorrow when I give you some unimaginable thing(s) to represent, it will be stored in a normalized manner. Can you do it with RM/ORM?

> OverRelational Manifesto: I found myself asking, "WTF was *that* all about?"

It's just a wild guess but U-Gene is probably proposing a new/unorthodox way of organizing data within RMDBs to achieve more flexibility for a range of applications that are probably near or beyond RM's practical scope. Received on Wed Apr 19 2006 - 22:56:29 CEST

Original text of this message