From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Apr 2006 15:58:35 -0700

.
.
> Bob: When Neo says: "the most flexible method of representing things" and compares it to the RM, he uses "flexible" as a synonym for "complex" and "method of representing things" as a synonym for structure.

Having understood me so precisely for the past five years, I am slightly disappointed Bob :) Substituting in your synonyms, my statement would read: "the focus of the experimental db is to provide the most complex structure". Bob, I don't want to provide the most complex structure :) In general, I agree with Nick, "representation should be as simple as possible".

An analogy follows to explain how I am using flexible. Please excuse any exaggerations :) Suppose Date has a method of opening containers (bottles, cans, drums, ice chests, etc). Using Date's method, one can open 70% of all containers that currently exist. Neo also has a method of opening containers. Neo's method can open 95% of current containers and 95% of all future containers (some of new type). Date's method uses less resources (time, steps, memory, processing power, money, etc) but is more limited. Neo's method uses more resources but is less limited. Its not that Date could use more resources to open a higher % of containers. Date simply can't come up with a more general/flexible/versatile/encompassing method at this time.

In context to the above story, which word(s) should I use in: The experimental db provides the most _____ method of representing things. Received on Tue Apr 18 2006 - 00:58:35 CEST

Original text of this message