Re: Data Model

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Apr 2006 22:31:46 -0700

> Well your suggestion analogises to a sledgehammer if naught but for its verbosity. As others have suggested, I cannot imagine having to type such a sprawling solution in. There is no need to post an alternative solution for this observation to be valid.

I'd suggest not being so focused initially on counting the number of characters in an alternate solution. I'd like you to focus more on the flexibility to model things and a solution's resiliency to unanticipated changes.

> As such, all that I can say to this Neo is that there appears to be a clear impression of your 'model' here. If (in your opinion) we have an incorrect understanding then (if it were me) I would think about why this miscomprehension has occurred, reassess my delivery and attempt to remedy the situation.

While the probability of something being true is usually high when everyone has a similar impression, majority opinion isn't proof in of itself. Among other examples, at one time, nearly everyone believed that the earth was flat.

> Its a sad fact of life that none is going to get off there backsides to help one do this.

Lets just say, it hard for them to prove to me that the world is flat.

> Start a new thread and convince us. But the onus is on you.

The name of that thread was "Storing Code and Data in a Db...". The common impression is that I do not understand RM and incapable of using it to create solutions, so accordingly, I can only post my solutions to various problems and compare the results.

Had you posted a solution that handles 0 to many classification of each persons; allows each thing (person, building, floor, room, etc) to have 0 to many properties; each property to having 0 to many values; allows a flexible hierarchy to model the location of a person within any part of the building, floor or room as mine solution does without a single NULL and complete normalization; and then subjected the two solution to handle new types of data, only then would you begin to see beyond your preconceptions.

> (apologies to the Object Pascal for inadvertantly contributing to the hijacking of this thread)

Yes, this long tit-for-tat thread initiated by your derogatory remarks was not very constructive.