Re: CJ Date on Missing Information

From: Paul Mansour <paul_at_carlislegroup.com>
Date: 18 Mar 2006 13:08:58 -0800

> If you're interested in alternative ways the problem might
> be addressed, I'd point you to algebraic datatypes, such as appear
> in the SML language.

Marshall,

Thanks. I am interested in other appoaches (besides Date's) to the problem of missing information (without nulls) to the extent that the approach has been fairly well researched... if there is a paper, book, or link you could point me to that says, more or less, "this is how one would deal with missing information in the relational model using alegraic datatypes, these are the pros and cons, compared to nulls, special values, etc", I would very interested in seeing it. If I have to start from scratch and reseach it myself.... well, there are only so many hours in the day, and I won't get to it. I googled a bit but didn't find anything with respect to the RM and algebraic datatypes. Received on Sat Mar 18 2006 - 22:08:58 CET

Original text of this message