Re: We have a troll

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:55:09 -0000

"-CELKO-" <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:1140988441.214787.7630_at_z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> >> Esteemed fellow c.d.t. members, We have a troll. <<
>
> Very nice piece of research! I remember years ago when Fabian Pascal
> was kicked out so many Compuserve database and other forums for his
> flood of attacks on posters.

Oh come on Joe! That is absurd. There is no comparison between what Pascal does and what a troll does. His writing is always uncompromising, often critical, and never generous to you. But it is also nearly always carefully defended (at least the first time he makes a point). Trolls compulsively seek attention for its own sake, Pascal compulsively argues about substance.

Trolls are rightly hounded out of town because their objective is to disrupt communication; Pascal seems to get hounded out town because he has what amounts to poor table-manners: zero time for people whose ideas he is satisfied he has rebutted and no instinct for mollification. There are some people on this ng whose social graces are refined to a nauseating degree, almost sick-making in their affected faux humility, who haven't a worthwhile thought in their head. I'd sooner have ten Pascals for every one of those.

(Note that I have no idea about what goes on between you two off-line--though maybe I can guess. But off-line scrapping cannot be trolling by any stretch of the imagination.)

Roy Received on Mon Feb 27 2006 - 10:55:09 CET

Original text of this message