Re: cdt glossary 0.1.0 [Data]

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 24 Feb 2006 14:21:20 -0800

mAsterdam wrote:
> There are people who think that data doesn't need
> to mean anything. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information
> (currently) says "information has meaning (i.e.: can inform),
> while data does not. ".
> Somehow this "data has no meaning" idea has caught on.

Yeah, that wikipedia article is pretty lame. I found this gem in there, also: "data is unstructured." So I guess if I were to use the phrase "structured data", it would be a contradiction in terms, and I'd probably be the first one ever to use such a term. Right ....

Oh, and we're also going to have to rename the group to comp.informationbases.theory, by the way.

Marshall Received on Fri Feb 24 2006 - 23:21:20 CET

Original text of this message