Re: XQuery (and XML) vs LISP

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 03:42:14 GMT

Mark Johnson wrote:
> Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com> wrote:
>

>>In small projects most of the coordination is face to face and informal
>>and remains effective because of the small number of players and limited
>>scope.

> And I was also suggesting that when the small project grows, such
> informality can prove to be burdensome to further development?

In that continued success is far less likely, yes. Picking the time to transition is the art, but is often clouded with other factors like the "it only took a small effort to develop the prototype, so why does the enterprise solution cost so much?" mentat.

> But
> yes, the proper methods might seem greatly overkill at the beginning -
> far too general and complicated. They exist, as Skerrit said in the
> film, for your benefit and safety.

Yep - but as ever each succeeding generation will question the need. That behaviour arises from a mixture of invincibility and reactionary fervour!

Cheers, Frank. Received on Thu Feb 23 2006 - 04:42:14 CET

Original text of this message