Re: comparing remote datadases

From: Roedy Green <my_email_is_posted_on_my_website_at_munged.invalid>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 06:58:10 GMT

On 16 Feb 2006 21:37:29 -0800, "sreenadh" <sreenadhsr_at_gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

>Is there any mechanism to compare remote tables based on checksum.

you might look at Untouch. It prepares a digest file of checksums and dates of each file in a directory. IF you compared those, you would be pretty certain you had a match.

I have not publicly released it even though it is ready for prime time. I just need that fabled round tuit.

To learn how it works see http://mindprod.com/projects/untouch.html

the documentation I wrote on the original student project outlining how it works I just noticed, has disappeared. I will have to binary search the backup CDS to restore it. I have yet to write formal docs for it.

The source code is well commented and the program has been running for years without incident. It is very fast. It uses Adler checksums. For your purposes you might want to upgrade them to CRC32, MD5 or even SHA-1 if you are utterly paranoid.

Most of the time you are dealing with gross errors -- a missing file, an out of date file etc, so if it missed a few contrived bytes difference once in a billion times it might not matter.

For my purposes, backdating files, an error is usually harmless.

if you want it as is, email me and I will send you zip.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.