Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:49:19 GMT

Mark Townsend wrote:
> Tony Rogerson wrote:
>

>>> I agree there are people who are blind and can't see sqlserver will
>>> not have the same set of features as Oracle in even a hundred years
>>

>> Does it need it? SQL Server has CLR which means it can be expanded
>> infinitely.
>>

> Well - Oracle also supports CLR in the database as well. However the
> ability to extend a database with stored procedures etc written in CLR,
> Java or even a database's own data processing language does not equate
> to the ability to add new features to the database.

I'm curious how CLR per se 'expands' (advances?) the db. I noticed something that is maybe related called Qlink or similar by one of the CLR authors but it seemed like bumpf to me. Is CLR anything more than a copycat of the JVM (the JVM seeming to me to be nothing more an interpreted version of some arbitrary low-level assembly language with a few complex operators added for an object/typing machine of some sort, which isn't necessarily relevant to database theory)?

cheers,
pc Received on Sat Feb 11 2006 - 14:49:19 CST