Re: XQuery (and XML) vs LISP

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Feb 2006 10:17:42 -0800

beelzebub wrote:
> It is reasonably obvious to see how to store this information
> persistently using both XML and simple binary relation. Asking a
> question, is person X an ancestor of person Y is rather straightforward
> in
> XQuery. How would I formulate an equivalent query in SQL?

Why don't you google "trees sql"?

The problem is not a particular syntax. You can't design a query language by randomly throwing in some ad-hock language elements, e.g. take some ideas from regular expressions, pattern matching, spice it with loop constructions from procedural languages, etc. This ad-hock thingy might work, but it would never really take off the ground. You have to have some theoretical insight. And the area of graphs, partial order relation, and combinatorics is difficult from theoretical perspective -- harder than first order logic. Received on Fri Feb 10 2006 - 19:17:42 CET

Original text of this message