Re: Query execution for intervals

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:00:39 GMT

Tony Rogerson wrote:
> So why say this:
>
> >> try putting the end_date into the
> >> PRIMARY KEY to get a covering index
>
> Its about time you started checking your answers, perhaps if you spent a lot
> less time trying to be clever by putting posters down you might not make so
> many fundemental mistakes.

Tony my man - how long have you been waiting to stick one on CELKO?

If so then IMO you have blown it. I clearly understood both at a semantic and physical level the intent of his post, and was almost going to post similarly except I was beaten to the punch! Just because end_date allows nulls this does not invalidate the technique proposed for the OP's interest.

I could be wrong but as I read it you seem to be labouring under the misunderstanding that a PK must be a single attribute in a relation.

Cheers, Frank.
(Most definitely and by deliberate choice not an MVP - just my own person)! Received on Mon Feb 06 2006 - 17:00:39 CST