Re: Definitions of Software and Database

From: Todd <toddkennethbenson_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Feb 2006 09:42:11 -0800

x wrote:>
> dawn wrote:>
> > Of course then we might have to define "thinking" ;-)

Perhaps we have to define the word "define" :)

> If a stone can think it is still a stone ? ;-)

What happens if a stone thinks it's a gem, or suddenly turns into a marble? Sorry, couldn't resist :)

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automata_theory
> What happens when one encode the state diagram into some memory ?
> What happens when one interconnects lots of those ?
> What happens when one encode the interconnection scheme into some memory ?
>
> See this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_von_Neumann
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_architecture
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_machine
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life
> http://www.fourmilab.ch/autofile/www/chapter2_75.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_automaton
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Constructor
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codd's_Cellular_Automaton
> http://www.cellmatrix.com/entryway/entryway/core.html
>
> http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/schroedinger/index.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference
>

> http://www.umich.edu/~newsinfo/Releases/2000/Jan00/r012000b.html
> http://www.physorg.com/news2227.html
> http://www.quantop.nbi.dk/cell_exp/quant_memory.html
> http://www.techspot.com/news/20165-university-of-michigan-develops-quantum-processor.html
> http://www.trnmag.com/Stories/2004/071404/Quantum_crypto_network_debuts_071404.html
> http://www.primidi.com/2004/07/14.html
> http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/200306/msg00055.html
> http://www.bbn.com/News_and_Events/Press_Releases/05_06_01.html
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/11/atom_chip_at_ces/
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/07/hvd_alliance_founded/
> http://cam.qubit.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>

> > > That definition may be indistinguishable from ye lores of olden, but yet
> > > it is the plaine truthe.
> >
> > This would make a "data entry person" a software developer by
> > definition, right? Perhaps we can add an intent phrase, although I'm
> > not sure that changes it sufficiently:
>
> > A software developer is a person who intentionally causes 0's and 1's
> > to be ordered in such a way as to bend a thinking stone to obey their
> > will.
>
> How can you tell a data entry person from a software entry person ? :-)

How can you tell an artist from a copy machine? I think that's what you're saying, and I agree with you x, and I think I can answer that.

To be a good lumberjack, you would probably have to have clout with your fellows, possibly a reputation, dust in your ears, sand on your clothes, and a good bedroll. You then talk like a duck, and walk like a duck, and for me, you probably are a duck -- to make an analogy.

Dawn, with all due respect, I don't think a "software developer" is something you can nail down, for better or worse. And maybe that's part of what's on your mind (among other things, of course :). The data about who is a "developer" can't be nailed down, or then maybe you don't like nailed down thinking anymore (which, as it happens, the RM model seems to ascribe to).

In any case, you are pretty good at stirring up some interesting conversation.

Todd Received on Mon Feb 06 2006 - 18:42:11 CET

Original text of this message