Re: Reminder, blatant ad

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Jan 2006 17:33:25 -0800

Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
> dawn skrev:
>
> > Perhaps we need to define developer. I am calling anyone who is
> > developing software a "developer."

I still agree with myself on this one

> Perhaps we need to define
> > software?
> > It is everything "stored on" a computer that is not hardware. Does
> > that work for you? That would be "soft stuff" that can change,
> > compared to the hardware. I haven't thought long and hard about that
> > definition, but that is how I perceive it.
>
> That definition would of course aso include the "end user" who only
> punches data into a shrink-wrapped software package. In my view, a
> "developer" should be one who is making software.

That is my view as well and I see where my definitions are not tight enough to make that clear. If someone is using software, providing input or using output, but not developing any functions, then I guess I would say they are not developing software. However, if that input is in the form of specs... (e.g. the user type in a bunch of xml documents and dtds and then clicks a button to generate an application), then what?

Anyway, I'm good with saying that a developer is someone developing software, I'm not as happy with the definiion of software. What is a nice crisp definition of software?

> You may of course
> include the end users who produce nifty macros to facilitate daily
> work. The border is certainly a fluid one. Most of us have started as
> "end users", I guess.

And developers are end-users of language compilers, interpreters, dbms interfaces, etc.
Cheers! --dawn