Re: MV and SQL

From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:19:42 +0200

"dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137784658.123543.82320_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> x wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > What an SQL DBMS can't do when one can do anything with it. If one have
> > string of infinite length and a general language one can program
anything
> > programable with it.

> Are you referring to SQL as a general language?

No. I'm referring to an SQL DBMS and using SQL + a general-purpose language. Dr. E. F. Codd prescribed a data SUBLANGUAGE based on first order logic.

> It isn't a general-purpose programming language, right?

No. It is a database language :-)
Or several languages: DDL, DML, DCL, ... The SQL/PSM part is general enough.

http://www.jcc.com/SQLPages/jccs_sql.htm http://www.wiscorp.com/SQLStandards.html

> It has been my experience
> that you always need another language, combined with SQL, to write a
> complete system and you might be assuming that when you talk about a
> SQL DBMS, rather than just SQL as the only interface with a DBMS.
> Mountain Man might be able to get an entire application out of the SQL
> DBMS if you toss in PL/SQL, but not just SQL, or am I missing
> something? --dawn

The thing is that PL/SQL is implemented by the DBMS as DataBasic is. One also can use Java or C# .

http://msdn.microsoft.com/sql/learning/prog/clr/default.aspx http://www.oracle-10g.de/oracle_10g_documentation/appdev.101/b10807/10_objs.htm

I am not assuming. I explicitly stated that. Received on Mon Jan 23 2006 - 09:19:42 CET

Original text of this message