Re: MV and SQL

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:17:45 GMT

"x" <x_at_not-exists.org> wrote in message news:dqq0bg$16n$1_at_domitilla.aioe.org...  Michael said one cannot do that with SQL and this is one reason why SQL is
> bad.

But you can do it with SQL, as you and I know. Whether it's brilliant flexibility or another stupid database trick is in the eye of the beholder. If I'm the beholder, it's a stupid database trick.

> He aparently hate SQL for no reason.
> Aparently an SQL DBMS would be great if it doesn't force you to use SQL
> because SQL sucks :-)

Tough to say. Michael's initial forays seemed to take the position that "I don't know SQL, but I'm sure that it sucks." If that really is his position, I'd like to have him debate with someone who takes the position, "I don't know Pick, but I'm sure that it sucks." That would be amusing to watch.

(My own position is, "I don't know Pick and I have yet to be persuaded that it's an undiscovered treasure.")

Michael's more recent posts suggest a somewhat more rational tone, one that might be willing to learn from those who have used SQL, and like the results. As you know, x, we are not all poor deluded fools. If he approaches things that way, it might be worth dialoguing with him to see what he likes about what he does know. Time will tell. Received on Fri Jan 20 2006 - 21:17:45 CET

Original text of this message