Re: Early and late binding.

From: dawn <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Jan 2006 11:11:12 -0800

x wrote:
> "David Cressey" <dcressey_at_verizon.net> wrote in message
> > The discussion about dynamic typing and the discussion about Dawn's new
> blog
> > both put me in mind of an old topic: early and late binding.
>
> > I searched the web, and got a lot of articles on this subject. All the
> ones
> > I've read so far deal with two specific instances of early and late
> binding.
> > One is about the early or late binding of variables to types, the statis
> > and dynamic binding topic. The other is about early or late binding of
> > operators to class specific methods in an object oriented environment.
>
> > It's possible that there's a more abstract treatment of early and late
> > binding than the ones I've managed to locate so far.
>
> Values and operators can also be typed.
>
> With a SQL DBMSs one is forced to separate DDL from DML which may or may not
> be a good thing.

I recall people saying that problems in the industry with people not seeing data and process as two sides of the same coin started when COBOL was designed with a DATA DIVISION and PROCEDURE DIVISION. There is no clean line between data and process. So much the better when the tools we use understand that.

I wasn't fond of JavaScript when I started working with it, but it is growing on me, in part because data and process are intertwined. Every object is an associative array. Members of the array can be functions along with any other type.

I would say that the separataion of DDL and DML is not a positive aspect of SQL DBMS's. --dawn Received on Fri Jan 20 2006 - 20:11:12 CET

Original text of this message