Re: Announcing New Blog

From: Jay Dee <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:28:49 GMT

mountain man wrote:
> "Christopher Browne" <> wrote in message

>>>Database systems is an evolving environment.
>>>Date's pedagogy on the RM is not.
>>>It has been static for nigh on 30 years.
>>The thing is, pedagogy needs to connect with theory.

Just as practice needs to connect to reality -- as illuminated through theory.
>>I don't see that relational theory has materially progressed in the
>>last twenty years.

> It hasn't.

Think of it as you do our understanding of gravity; once you get it right, there's no need to change it.
>>In a way, it's like the challenge of getting a Ph.D in Shakespearean
>>literature.  Doing a Ph.D requires having something new and novel to
>>say about the area of study.  As you approach 500 years since the
>>death of the author, it gets increasingly difficult to find anything

> Database systems are not the product of one author
> and are constantly evolving; the theory is not keeping
> pace.

Please don't confuse database implementations with theory. Few systems have succeeded in reaching first base.

>>I don't see that anything much new has come up lately that would cause
>>Date's pedagogy to need to change.  Every couple years I browse TODS
>>and basically see nothing that seems of practical importance, and even
>>less that extends the RM.

> Database systems since the late 90's have acquired a class
> of objects termed stored procedures. Essentially these are
> program objects written in the SQL of the RDBMS and
> are stored within the database.
> There is in progress a migration of lines of code from the
> application software environment (external to the database)
> to the stored procedure environment (internal to the database)
> and this needs to be recognised.
> We need a theory not just of the data, but of the data
> and its processing, which will address stored procedure
> objects (ie: processes) which are today, and not 30 years
> ago, capable of being stored and managed within the
> database systems environment.

For this, I suggest Eric Hehner.