Re: Announcing New Blog

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 01:22:03 GMT

http://www.tincat-group.com/mewsings
>>>Leave a comment :
>>
>> My impression of Codd was that he preferred to avoid the complexification
>> via normalisation, as outlined in an article by Gittens earlier
>> referenced
>> ("A Codd inspired ..."
>>
>> OTOH my impression of Date is that he prefers to promote
>> complexification via normalisation.
>
> I read some books and attended some lectures by Chris Date.
> He doesn't shy away from difficult subjects.
> Could that be the trigger your impression?

No, there are more difficult subjects that he avoids, such as schema evolution theory, and omits others entirely, such as any formalised theoretical interface to the software side of the (data/software) coin. (eg: stored procs).

> Could you provide some examples?

Normalisation of tables in order to pedantically avoid the use of nulls as though they were some form of an alien life form. Date approaches complexity ad nauseum but offers no simple solutions, and cannot, because of his data centric view of a data _processing_ environment.

--
Pete Brown
www.mountainman.com.au