Re: What is Pick anyway?

From: picksupport <phil_at_picksupport.com>
Date: 10 Jan 2006 02:40:47 -0800

David Cressey wrote:
> > > The above comment seems to me to be about the PICK programming language,
> > > and not about the PICK data model.
> > >
> > I normally don't think of these as separate entities. Many MV shops
> > don't have strict standards. They may have only a couple of
> > programmers, so it's not two hard to control things.
> > Also, there are MV based and non-MV based source control systems that
> > let you control and track program changes. I consider source control a
> > must.
> > >

> It's useful to think about the data model as distinct from the programming
> language in certain contexts. Database theory, the subject of this newsgroup
> is one such context.
>
> Only a couple of programmers? That suggests a scale to me.

... It may suggest a scale, but if you are thinking in the SQL box you are working in entirely different units. Not even applesand oranges - more like raisins and watermelons. ;)

Historically, and for good reason, you'll often find large applications and databases managed by the aforementioned "couple of programmers" - often even just one programmer. I've personally seen such environments migrated to SQL environments and suddenly have a staff of 20/30 people managing the application. The massive difference in productivity is hard to imagine if you haven't seen it.

The idea of a "Pick DBA" (as in "Orace DBA") as a job - an entire job for one person - is laughable. What the hell would they do all day? ;) Pick "programmers" typically do the whole gamut, because they can. Maybe this is why Pick people tend not to separate the database theory from the more practical aspects of system design and development. Pick database and Pick programming are integrated in the true sense of the word.

Also, you may not be aware, as it seems not to be mentioned much these days, but this integration also extended to the hardware interface; Pick started out as an Operating System in its own right. It was not Pick as a database sitting on a UNIX operating system with Basic as its programming language - it was Pick, the integrated environment, operating system, database, programming tools, query tools all in one standalone package. Received on Tue Jan 10 2006 - 11:40:47 CET

Original text of this message