Re: How can I proove associtivity of natural in relational algebra?

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Nov 2005 09:14:09 -0800

Filter911 wrote:
> Mikito Harakiri wrote:
> > Filter911 wrote:

> > > What do you mean by "expand each relation"?
> >
> > "Extend", is the opposite of "project". E.g. the relation with a single
> > attribute
> >
> > A = {(a=1), (a=2)} is exended to the attribute set {a,b} with the
> > domain of attribute b being {7,8,9} as
> Extanding using what? Using B or C? or some new relation? any full
> example or link?
> If I use the union of the three then A=B=C and that's a prviate case

Find the set of all attributes in B and C which are not in A. Get cartesian product of their respective domains. Cartesian product it with A. This is how you get A'.

The other hint. Start with cartesian product (which is associative), and show that selection doesn't affect associativity. Received on Tue Nov 22 2005 - 18:14:09 CET

Original text of this message