Re: 'with check option' constraint

From: x <x_at_not-exists.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:02:49 +0200

"Carl Federl" <cfederl_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1132670086.138307.189940_at_g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> -CELKO- wrote:
> > The WITH CHECK OPTION is not a constraint; it is part of the
> > declaration of a VIEW. Deferring it would be a nightmare. Do you have
> > a copy of SQL FOR SMARTIES? I have a section on nested VIEWs with
> > various WITH CHECK OPTION [CASCADE] combinations. It is very
> > complicated.

> Quite correct, as I confused "CHECK CONSTRAINTS" with "WITH CHECK
> OPTION"

> My prior post applies to "CHECK CONSTRAINTS" and does not apply to
> "WITH CHECK OPTION"
Thank you for the information you provided. I think WITH CHECK OPTION is a constraint. It appears in ORACLE 9i catalog and also has a name.
As a parallel, CHECK CONSTRAINTS are part of the declaration of a TABLE. This does not mean they are not constraints.

Do you know of any other SQL DBMS that support deferred triggers besides PostgreSQL ? Received on Tue Nov 22 2005 - 16:02:49 CET

Original text of this message