Re: Modeling Address using Relational Theory

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Sep 2005 07:28:10 -0700

Mike wrote:

> If you're trying to pick up my trash, my address might help you.
> But not if my address is a post office box, and not if I'm stationed
> aboard the Nimitz.

Trash service is not available at those addresses. Not all addresses are used for specifying where to pick up trash, so your objection is irrelevant.

> "Location" has to do with how *some* addresses are
> used, not with what addresses *are*.

Data modelling is about what things mean, not what they are. What addresses mean is a location. It's where you might deliver mail, pick up trash, drop off the pizza with the ordered set of toppings, whatever.

> Care to try again?

That's not how it works here. If you want to raise a point, raise it. Don't play guessing games and don't try to be Socrates; we're not your students.

Marshall Received on Fri Sep 09 2005 - 16:28:10 CEST

Original text of this message