Re: PIZZA time again :-)

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Sep 2005 07:18:28 -0700

dawn wrote:
> Marshall Spight wrote:
> > Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> > >
> > > If I order potato, I want it on top of the cheese. That is not a
> > > set.
> >
> > Ah! If it has an order, and it doesn't allow duplicates, then it's
> > an ordered set, which is not a list, nor a (regular, unordered) set.
> >

> double cheese, please --dawn

Double cheese could either be its own topping, or "double" could be a modifier to a topping. You still have an ordered set.

Although for the purposes of data modelling, I don't see that the order is relevant. The fact that the person who makes the pizza puts the toppings on in a certain order doesn't mean that order is relevant to how you specify a pizza. I've never heard anyone ordering pizza say anything like "please put the pepperoni down first, then the cheese." It's just "pepperoni and cheese" and its up to the person making the pizza to use the correct order.

Marshall Received on Fri Sep 09 2005 - 16:18:28 CEST

Original text of this message