Re: Describing the Janus

From: BobTheDataBaseBoy <"xxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:19:59 -0400

mountain man wrote:
> "David Cressey" <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message
>

>>I want to describe an object that I've been imagining for a while.  I've
>>called it the "Janus".

<snip>
> We have created an object, some years back, similar in nature
> to what you describe above. I have posted about it previously.
<snip>
> All development work (meaning 100%) is actually performed within the
> database, in the creation and maintenance of stored procedures
> written in TSQL.

<snip>

> Pete Brown
> IT Managers & Engineers
> Falls Creek, NSW, Australia
> http://www.mountainman.com.au

for myself, i've been convinced for a while that java is the worst thing to happen to data based development, for the following reason: by the mid to late 90s the RDBMS had been around in nearly full form for a decade. the COBOL and 4GL folks were beginning to get it: the DB is fully responsible for the data's integrity, and the progamming language serves solely to host an interface, which itself implements the (business) rules in the database. then that )(*U^**&() java comes along, with the "smart" code, "stupid" data paradigm like the night of the living dead. very depressing.

i've been collecting examples of your way, in the faint hope that the Powers That Be will see the light; they are quite enamoured of selling their 30 year old COBOL code with servlet wrapper so....... but it does feel good to rub their noses in it. and it does make me feel better that i can plunk down about one example a week.

"a really big bunch of morons can win a battle or two, but the smart guys win the war"/anon

BTDB Received on Fri Sep 09 2005 - 05:19:59 CEST

Original text of this message