Re: help with normalization

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:15:48 +0200

openleren wrote:
> Hello, is there anyone who can help me with the 'logic'
> I have to apply with a normalization?
>
> Let me be positive: some of you may answer.
>
> The case: a school timetable

/Before/ starting to normalize, (try to) distinguish the types of fact you need data on. These can serve as the 'external predicates' for the logical model.

> Student (StudNo, Surname, Forename, address, Class)

What does this mean? Let's try:

A student, identified by <StudNo> has name <Forename> <Surname>, lives at <adress> and attends <class>.

Example:
A student, identified by 123 has name Jan VanDorpe, lives at Vlaanderenstraat 456a Gent and
attends 'introductory normalization'.

This has a mixture of distinct types of facts (e.g. 'lives at' and 'attends'). Before designing the logical model it a good thing to have the right concepts. Received on Fri Sep 02 2005 - 15:15:48 CEST

Original text of this message