help with normalization

From: openleren <openleren_at_skynet.be>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:21:18 +0200

Hello, is there anyone who can help me with the 'logic' I have to apply with a normalization?

Let me be positive: some of you may answer.

The case: a school timetable

Student (StudNo, Surname, Forename, address, Class)

Teacher(StaffNo, Surname, Forename, address)

Room(RoomNo, description)

Course(CourseNo, description)

Class(ClassNo, description, total students in)

Period(Period)

These are the one-key tables which are obvious.

The Period is an integer that increments over one week (eg. period 8 is the first period of tuesday)

We need to be able to constuct a timetable in which

  • a teacher can teach several courses
  • a single class has a single course in a certain room
  • a room can not be occupied by two classes in the same period
  • a class can not follow more than one course in one period

I have problems following Codd's rules in normalizing this situation. I would like to see it happening step by step and discuss a bit about it.

Anyone?

thank you,

Jan Vandorpe, openleren_at_skynet.be
Belgium Received on Fri Sep 02 2005 - 13:21:18 CEST

Original text of this message