Re: Identity modelling

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:15:07 GMT

"Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1125538898.835003.159390_at_g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> It might be silly in the sense of being a definitional discussion,
> but it's certainly not silly to try to understand the differing
> nature of a key vs. a pointer, or of content-based addressing
> vs. location-based addressing.

Yes. This was exactly my point in asking the question about URLs. The fact that we've gotten answers firmly asserting both alternatives, makes my second point for me.

The fact that Roy wanted to know the context is interesting. If I were asking the question, "is this URL in Google's master list"? Then it would indeed be a key.

My question was really about the relationship between the URL and the resource. And I agree with you that this relationship is a pointer.

Therefore the web should exhibit the drawbacks of designing based on a pointer driven model. And it does, IMO. Received on Thu Sep 01 2005 - 15:15:07 CEST

Original text of this message