Re: Identity modelling

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 31 Aug 2005 18:50:07 -0700

dawn wrote:
> Marshall Spight wrote:
> >
> > The distinguishing characteristic of content-based addressing
> > is that data is addressed by some part of the data. Note
> > that nothing *in* the html file identifies the html file.
> > Most html files don't contain their url. So the URL is a pointer.
>
> I disagree. If one is modeling this data (and I think the referent of
> "this data" might be the problem) and taking a very traditional
> key-value approach with your data model, then the URL is surely a key.

[Quoted] Modelling has nothing to do with it. This is purely a syntactic issue.

> I think your use of "pointer" here is very extreme

I'm okay with that. :-)

> -- miles away from memory locations, for example.

Granted.

> There is nothing hidden or behind the scenes about a URL.
> One issue I see is that you opted to talk about
> modeling the html file, rather than all of the data under
> consideration.

[Quoted] [Quoted] I don't understand this statement. Did I say it needed to be hidden?

> So, perhaps if you add in the URL to the data you are
> modeling, you will agree that it is, indeed, a key?

[Quoted] [Quoted] Yes: if the URL was *in* the html, and we accessed it by [Quoted] looking for an html document with a specified URL, then it would be a key.

Marshall Received on Thu Sep 01 2005 - 03:50:07 CEST

Original text of this message