Re: Conceptual, Logical, and Physical views of data

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 12:34:21 GMT

"mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message news:4316259f$0$11064$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...

> The roles vary with your system development methodology
> and the nature of your project.

Agreed.

> What impact does the activity database design have on
> the necessary roles? This is an interesting question
> in it's own right.

Agreed.

> Does it matter if the technical
> architecture is given or not (say: we will use DBMS xyz)?

Here's the way it works in practice for me:

The conceptual model is implementation independent.

The logical model is data model dependent (relational v. object oriented), but independent
of product, volume, load, and resources.

The physical model is dependent on all of the above.

> 3. Physical, like indexes.

There's some disagreement about whether index design is part of the logical or physical design.
I choose to include index design in the logical model, but very reluctantly. Received on Thu Sep 01 2005 - 14:34:21 CEST

Original text of this message