Re: Identity modelling

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:01:06 +0100

"Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1125499759.244719.293100_at_g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> x wrote:
> >
> > Let's try to use RM for this little problem:
> > - the URL is a value
> > - the content of the resource is a value
> > - there is a relation At(URL, Content) where URL is the primary key with
> > At(u,c) meaning that at this instant the URL u point to the content c.
> >
> > So the URL is a key after all. :-)
>
> I have to disagree. Note that you can't map your above example
> onto keys in a relational table, since there is no analog
> to the separate (key, content) relation.

I think you are getting the cart way in front of the horse there. You have no idea what the application context is ('cos no one has ever told us). Without that you can't know what reality you are modelling, and you are just assuming one--one in which you are right I imagine. But maybe I'm assuming a different one. Maybe any or all of us are.

This is yet another silly thread.

Roy Received on Wed Aug 31 2005 - 18:01:06 CEST

Original text of this message