Re: Identity modelling

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:41:50 GMT

> One interesting case is that of the URL. Is a URL a key or a
> pointer? Does it name the resource, or does it locate the resource?

It can definitely be either.

<http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html> "Cool URIs don't change"

There are a lot of lame reasons for having URLs that have components that *are* expected to change:

  • status changes
  • authors leave
  • file "extensions" are a throwback to the filesystem styles of the past
  • software mechanisms are *really* likely to change (e.g. - where you have some sort of ".../exec/foo.cgi?latest?092348921fas" portion)

A "cool URI" is a name for the resource; uncool URIs merely present the current location...

--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "_at_" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/