Re: dbdebunk 'Quote of Week' comment

From: Frank_Hamersley <terabite_at_isat.bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 05:23:46 GMT

"-CELKO-" <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote
> >> Oh no she said "its probably a customer who transposed a few digits,
didn't notice and then used their password to get your account locked! We used to allocate the numbers sequentially but found it was causing too many problems, so we now use random numbers to avoid typo collisions". <<

> I have to use that story! People keep bitching about my mania for
> check digits because they cannot or do not wish to do the math. Well,
> until the data is corrupted ..

It's a weird world - the maths isn't that hard! And the same ppl prolly think the likelihood of an attack affecting their business is so close to zero that it doesn't warrant the effort.

Cheers, Frank. Received on Sat Aug 20 2005 - 07:23:46 CEST

Original text of this message