Re: SQL Humor

From: Colin Dawson <newsgroups_at_cjdawson.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:11:49 GMT

"Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1124385453.899643.54220_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Another source for quote of the week.
>
> Although the author is unfair emphasizing that DBA has to be aware char
> vs varchar2 difference. The character string types in SQL are just
> plain silly. For how long ordinary programming languages have [a
> single] type String [with unlimited bounds] already? Also when did you
> design a database schema with char datatype last time? In a word, there
> is not a single advantage of char over varchar2. Therefore, char is not
> even worth mentioned, and should just be deprecated: there are to many
> really important things on DBA plate.

Last time I used a Char column? erm, how about today. They're ideal to storing either single characters where a VarChar is completely pointless. Also in longer columns when the data will always be a fixed length.

Regards

Colin Dawson
DBA ;-)
www.cjdawson.com Received on Fri Aug 19 2005 - 00:11:49 CEST