Re: Semiotics

From: VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:09:09 -0400

"David Cressey" <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:1joLe.5031$RZ2.3346_at_newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> If semiotics is all about writers like Humberto Eco, then it's a little
> far
> afield even for my tastes.

Among the original contributors to the field were folks like the logician Charles Sanders Peirce and the famous linguist Ferdinand de Saussure who is considered to be the founder og the modern linguistics. Recently, semiotics has been polluted (or improved upon depending on the point of view) by people like Derrida (see Sokal's hoax).

As to Umberto Eco, I am no familiar with his work as a semiotician (as opposed to his literary contributions).