Re: sql views for denomalizing

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Aug 2005 08:43:51 -0700

dawn wrote:

> > and one particular "storage device" (to use your concept
> > from above) must be the primary (hence authoritative) repository of the
> > data.
>
> So the source of the data are not the people, but the machine, eh?

"Repository" and "source" are not the same thing. I strongly agree that there needs to be a single authoritative repository; it's the joke about the man with two watches again. Each datum must also have a single authoritative *source*, but there may be many such sources entering data into a single repository, (or a single source and many repositories, if you partition the data.)

But earlier in the same message you said:

> People who work on
> hci (human-computer interaction) sometimes see the person as the source
> and sink for data. People working with databases sometimes see the
> database as the source and the sink. I see data movement.

I liked the second one better.

Marshall Received on Fri Aug 12 2005 - 17:43:51 CEST

Original text of this message