Re: O'Reilly interview with Date

From: Paul <paul_at_test.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:58:53 +0100

Kenneth Downs wrote:

>>OK maybe I'm being dense here, but when you now specify your two tables,
>>"examples" and "examples_xref", how does the system know which of the
>>foreign key constraints to use to generate the join?

> Foreign keys are distiguished by suffix and prefix, in the example above on
> of them has the suffix "_TO", so when I specify a query I specify that
> suffix and now it can identify the fk definition and from there the
> columns.

OK but if you have to specify the foreign key, why not just specify the columns in the firstplace?

What if you have a non-standard join? For example start_date and end_date columns and you want to join where some date is between these two?

Paul. Received on Fri Aug 12 2005 - 11:58:53 CEST

Original text of this message