Re: sql views for denomalizing

From: Jonathan Leffler <jleffler_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:31:40 GMT

David Cressey wrote:

> "Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>>
>>>On 30 Jul 2005 14:46:38 -0700, "Marshall Spight"
>>>
>>> "That trick NEVER works!" -- Rocket J. Squirrel
>>
>>Heh. That was one wise squirrel.

>>> Spec? What spec? And if specs do get written to that level of
>>>detail, what is the difference between that and a programming
>>>language? Some, but not a lot.
>>
>>Absolutely agree. If you can program in it, it's a programming
>>language, even if the designers of it strenuously object to
>>calling it that!
>>
>>It is as if some linguists got together and said, we have come up
>>with a TOTALLY NEW WAY of communicating without language. We have
>>developed this special techinque, where you blow breath out through
>>your mouth, and engage your lips, tongue and vocal chords to modulate
>>the sound. These sounds have been designated to carry meaning, but
>>they are NOT WORDS, they are something completely new. Thus we can
>>convey information with no equipment, and completely free of using
>>words.
>>

> Two examples come to mind:
>
> The whistling language of the Canary islanders, and Xhosa, which has as
> many clicks in it as a telegraph message.

This reminds me of an Asimov (or was it A C Clarke) short story where the people on the stranded space ship of the future discover that 2 + 2 = 4 every time, and maybe they don't need the computers that aren't working to get themselve unstranded...

There again, maybe that's slightly too big a tangential leap.

Email: jleffler_at_earthlink.net, jleffler_at_us.ibm.com