Re: Just one more anecdote

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:59:32 -0400

dawn wrote:

> Kenneth Downs wrote:

>> dawn wrote:

> <snip>
>> This leaves me with only one thought, and that is about hunches.  I learn
>> by both deduction and intuition, and have had many wonderful ideas I
>> could not
>> explain that turned out to be right.  However, no matter how often I've
>> done it, the next time I present an idea to decision makers they seem to
>> think they are entitled to a reasoned step-by-step explanation.

> Even I require such reasoning before accepting either my own or
> another's hunches as if they were fact.

and yet below you refuse to provide any. case dismissed.

<snip>

> You are taking one model of the data and turning it into another. If
> the original data model can map to another, then I would like to be
> able to work with the best one, or one of my choice, rather than
> interfacing with the db products only by way of relations, for example.

Good luck. I'll repeat that I think you can have your cake and eat it too if you appreciate the role of layers in architecture, but I think the point will be lost.

> I want the developer to say "here is a data model and it includes this
> list" and then when that list is either tossed to a UI or a DB, it
> "understands" how lists work with inserts and deletions, for example.
>

>> Again you are asking for a toolset.

> of course. I'm asking for a dbms that is not based on modeling data
> only as relations.

But why insist it be in the dbms if it is the layer above?

I've snipped your hypotheses only because they aren't fleshed out. I'd be interested if you ever flesh them out.

<snip>

>> Your hunch about newer projects is probably right.  I'd bet money on it
>> in fact, but your fixation on a single element, the RM,

> it is my biggest mystery related to s/w development right now.
>
>> is robbing all of us
>> of any insight you can offer on the other elements.

> good technique, Mr. Downs :-) As much as I hate to admit it, I am
> planning to start a column er, blog, this Fall because I do think I
> also have some information and insights of worth. But I'm using cdt to
> learn, not to teach.
> cheers! --dawn

Let us know when we can read the blog.

--