Re: sql views for denomalizing

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_ucantrade.com.NOTHERE>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:48:50 -0700

On 1 Aug 2005 22:46:11 -0700, "Marshall Spight" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>> On 30 Jul 2005 14:46:38 -0700, "Marshall Spight"

[snip]

>> Spec? What spec? And if specs do get written to that level of
>> detail, what is the difference between that and a programming
>> language? Some, but not a lot.
>
>Absolutely agree. If you can program in it, it's a programming
>language, even if the designers of it strenuously object to
>calling it that!

     I do not go quite that far. If you want to cover the nitpicky cases, then your spec (almost?) necessarily turns into a sort of programming language.

     This is how tools for end users get turned into programming languages. There are more and more features until it takes a analyst/programmer to understand how to fit it all together.

>It is as if some linguists got together and said, we have come up
>with a TOTALLY NEW WAY of communicating without language. We have
>developed this special techinque, where you blow breath out through
>your mouth, and engage your lips, tongue and vocal chords to modulate
>the sound. These sounds have been designated to carry meaning, but
>they are NOT WORDS, they are something completely new. Thus we can
>convey information with no equipment, and completely free of using
>words.

     Are they people who blow hard?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko Received on Tue Aug 02 2005 - 18:48:50 CEST

Original text of this message