Re: Just one more anecdote

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:19:40 GMT

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/casestudies/ShowFile.asp?FileResourceID=1 611

> has been discontinued and written off to the tune of $67 million in s/w
> development as seen at
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050721/clth018.html?.v=16

From the above, it seems to me that this was an analysis failure, rather than a design failure.

> This is yet another instance where a legacy system written with a PICK
> (in this case), MUMPS, IMS, or other pre-relational database product
> didn't successfully make the jump to a SQL-RDBMS.

Is the axe sharp enough yet, Dawn?

> It is very likely that the conceptual data model and surely the
> subsequent logical data model from which the original system was
> developed would not play to the strengths of the SQL-DBMS. As much as
> we might want to think otherwise, even the design of a conceptual data
> model is influenced by the designer's knowledge of the target dbms. A
> redesign of the data model for a SQL-DBMS is likely to both bump
> features and increase complexity -- a harsh one-two punch.

A good conceptual model is implementation neutral. Again, analysis, rather than design.

> My conjecture is that downgrading, I mean moving, from a graph data
> model to a relational data model and from a PICK dbms to the SQL-DBMS
> were significant factors in this project failure. I could be wrong, of
> course.

You are assuming a fact not yet in evidence.

> smiles. --dawn

Is this your way of hinting that you are just jerking the chain on the denizens of this NG?