Re: Just one more anecdote

From: David Cressey <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:23:23 GMT

"Mike" <mike_at_sherrillshelton.net> wrote in message news:1122468034.924778.194610_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> dawn wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >As much as
> >we might want to think otherwise, even the design of a conceptual data
> >model is influenced by the designer's knowledge of the target dbms.
> [snip]
>
> Speak for yourself, please.
>
> A conceptual model describes how a piece the world works; you don't
> even need a computer to do that. I translate conceptual models into
> logical (relational) models to make sure I've accounted for all the
> constraints I've found. My target platforms range from SQL dbms to
> awk/m4 utilities controlled by shell scripts. I never consider the
> target platform until I start accounting for all the constraints I've
> uncovered.

Hear, hear!

You've just outlined, in precise terms, the distinction between analysis and design.

Many times, we engage in unconscious design when we think that what we are doing is actually analysis. When we do that, we reframe the original problem. If we do so in a positive way, it's serendipity. If we do so in a negative way, it's "just one of those things". But it isn't. It's flawed analysis.

Anyway, thanks for your comments! really! Received on Wed Jul 27 2005 - 15:23:23 CEST

Original text of this message