Re: Property sheet, ad hoc, property page, flexible data

From: AC <AC_at_No.spam>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:04:54 GMT

"David Cressey" <david.cressey_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:MqMEe.3754$6f.2689_at_newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> "AC" <AC_at_No.spam> wrote in message news:TkFEe.4555$6M3.3607_at_trnddc03...
>
> PMFJI.
>
> The fundamental problem with user defined attributes is not a theoretical
> one. It's one of conflicts between two incompatible requirements of the
> users.
>
> The first requirement is, as you outlined, that users want to be able to
> extend the schema to include data items that are not defined in the
> schema,
<snip/>

That is the situation. Just like ACT (previously from Symantec) allowed you to have "property sheets" we would like to do something similar. The reason is that some items will be standard but there are too many possibilities with various business requirements to specify in advance all fields. This way there is flexibility without too much data bastardization. Ad hoc fields will show up in a grid view only.

> The other requirement is that the data in the data base be sharable and
> usable by the entire user community in search of information. You can't
<snip/>
This is not a requirement or expectation. Base fields would be shareable but ad hoc fields would of course not be able to be shared. There is no expectation for sharing in the same way that two companies that used ACT and merged could not expect a 1:1 matching of their "property sheet" data.

Has anyone done this before? I know it's not common as I have not worked on a project with this scenario before however I know that with Salesforce Automation packages it is done.

Regards,
--AC Received on Mon Jul 25 2005 - 20:04:54 CEST

Original text of this message