Re: transitive closure

From: Marshall Spight <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2005 23:23:26 -0700

Neo wrote:

> // Find parts of universe.
> // Finds Mars and Venus.
> (SELECT universe part *)
>
> // Find parts of universe recursively.
> // Finds Mars, John, Venus and Mary.
> (SELECTR universe part)

Ah, you have a recursive query operator now. Interesting. Has working on this operator produced any insights for you? I'm thinking about this sort of thing right now as well. My post about 3 different kinds of trees is part of that same line of thought.

> As the philosopher Schopenhauer said, 'All truth goes through three
> stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally,
> it is accepted as self-evident.'

Heh. Some non-truths go through the same process, though. Viz. XML. Currently in the "accepted as self-evident" phase. I like to believe there's a "what was I thinking?!" phase that comes after. :-)

Marshall Received on Tue Jul 19 2005 - 08:23:26 CEST

Original text of this message