Re: Implementation of boolean types.

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 14 Jul 2005 07:06:38 -0700

They were picked to be language-free. This is a big issue in standards.

>> but 1=male? nobody will ever remember that, and they'll just use the values for their language. <<

Not if they are good programmers who learn the standards of their trade. Not if they have to exchange data with someone else on earth.

Are you old enought to remember these popular rants against standards, which fall in my lifetime?

  1. ZIP codes? Nobody will remember those! They'll just put down the city and the state when they mail a letter!
  2. All-digit dialing?? Are you insane?? Who can remember a number that long! TEN DIGITS!! We are just doing this to make phone numbers language free. It is a Commie plot to destroy America. There was actually a group named "The anti-Digit Dialing League" that protested this change.
  3. Americans do not need Metric madness! Coca Cola will never be sold in liters. And surely cigarettes and automobiles will never be made in millimeters.