Re: Normalisation

From: VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:28:20 -0400

"Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message news:E9gBe.144135$ee2.7610436_at_phobos.telenet-ops.be...

> VC wrote:

>> "Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message

>>>Defining a collection of relations within ZF that is not a set, is
>>>neither here nor there.
>>
>> I am sorry but your response does not make any sense whatsoever. What
>> is "neither here nor there" supposed to mean ?
>
> It means that it is irrelevant for the question whether you can define the
> domain of relations in ZF. Note that is says "the domain" and not "a
> domain".

I am sorry but you are still not making sense. What sacred meaning does the definite article impart to a reader ? What is "the domain of relations" ? Do you mean the domain of all the relations there are ? Or some other "the domain" ?

Let's assume "the domain of relations" stands for a collection of all the relations there are.
Now, we all know, don't we, that a relation in the relational model is just a set (forgetting about the "header" which is not important). So, given that relations, or all the relations there are, are just sets, why the domain, or the collection of all the relations which are guaranteed by definion to be sets formed at an earlier [than our domain] stage in the cumulative hierarchy, is not a set ?

> -- Jan Hidders Received on Thu Jul 14 2005 - 03:28:20 CEST

Original text of this message