From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:41:39 GMT

Alfredo Novoa wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:24:09 GMT, Jan Hidders
> <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote:

>> I didn't say the OODB data model, I said the *pure* OODB data
>> model.

> Then you should say the *Pure* OODB data model.
>
> With Pure as a proper noun and not as and adjective.

Ok. I will let the involved researchers know Alfredo Leandro said that they should capitalize it from now on. I'm not sure if they will be impressed though.

>> The point of the paper is to show that on the leading conferences
>> on database theory you can publish papers on the pure OODB data
>> model and everybody will know what you are talking about.

> If you talk about gnomes everybody will know what you are talking
> about. It does not mean that they exist.

Do I really have to explain to you why this counter-argument is not valid for mathematical notions?

>> It is a wel-defined concept,

> I have searched for "Pure OODB" and I only have found two Van den
> Bussche's papers, many of them cited using lower case.

Yep. He is one of the big experts in that area. Really, Alfredo, I don't think I'm really interested in this discussion. I know from direct personal experience that your claim is false. If you don't want to believe me, then that is not really my problem.

>> I know what it means and so do most researchers in the field, and
>> people smarter than you and me publish papers about it.

> Talk about yourself only ;)

Don't kid yourself. You're not even remotely close to the people that publish at PODS and ICDT.

> I have found all kind of foolish things in academic texts about
> databases.

Sure, me too. But there are relatively objective ways to find out where the higher-quality stuff is, and if you don't agree with what you see there, then that says probably more about you than them.

  • Jan Hidders